Advanced Diploma In Midwifery
This is a Advanced Diploma of Midwifery course specialized in the fields of midwifery, planned especially for Registered Nurses who have obtained their Diploma in Nursing or Bachelor of Nursing. On completion of the course, the graduate can safely provide services in various aspects of obstetrics, gynaecology and neonatology.
The curriculum content covers 5 aspects: Women’s Health, Community care : family and culture, Antepartum, Intrapartum, Postpartum and Neonatology. Curriculum approach integrates the latest nursing techniques and advances in medical sciences, emotional needs of women, the family and the newborn. The curriculum also emphasizes on the preventive aspects, early recognition of problems, education of women/ mothers and family and their progressive care from pregnancy to early parenthood.
It is a one-year academic full time course conducted in 2 semesters using the modular approach. The conduct of the course, both theory and practical and in the assessment of students is a shared responsibility between the Department of Nursing, Department of Family Medicine, and the Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine UKM Medical Centre.
Aim of the Course
To prepare the Nurse Midwife skilled in the field of midwifery to enable them to function safely in various aspects of obstetrics, gynaecology and neonatology.
At the end of the one-year Advanced Diploma in Midwifery course, the graduates should be able to:
- provide skilled midwifery nursing and be responsible for the provision of quality midwifery services to women and their family.
- solve problems and make decisions in various aspects pertaining to women’s health, pregnancy and related events.
- assume a leadership role and be a role model in aspects of midwifery.
- participate in research in the field of midwifery as a basis for quality improvement in nursing as a whole.
- assume responsibility for personal and professional growth in order to bring about change in midwifery and nursing profession as a whole.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
Candidates who wish to apply for the Advanced Diploma in Midwifery Program must meet the following conditions:
- Candidates must have passed the Malaysian Certificate of Education (SPM) or equivalent examination with distinction at least five of the following subjects: –
3 other subjects
- Graduated in Mathematics and English
Priority will be given to candidates who graduated in Science (Biology, Physics and Chemistry).
- Age: 17 years at the beginning and not more than 40 years. This course is open to male and female. Marital Status: Not married, and married but are advised not to conceive during the period following the program. Show evidence in the form provided by the University that they are quite healthy and able to follow a course in nursing.
- The admission of candidates to rely on the discretion of the Medical Faculty Senate from time to time.
Candidates who wish to attend the Advanced Diploma in Midwifery Program must meet the following conditions:
- Nursing Diploma recognized by the government and have experience of at least 3 years of continuous work or one year of experience in the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology OR
- Bachelor of Nursing (Honours) recognized by the government, AND
- Registered with the Nursing Board Malaysia
Candidates must also:
- Can satisfy the Senate regarding the efficiency speak in Malay
- Take such tests and attend an interview